Here are our current volunteer needs: (please be sure to GET SET UP as a volunteer to get updates via email too!)
- Office Help: Help us process new year paperwork. Two hour shifts starting Sept. 16th. SIGN UP HERE
- Picture Day: Valerie in our front office needs assistants to help with class photos on September 19 and 20 as well as Nov. 8th. SIGN UP HERE
- Lunch Monitors – We would like 5 volunteers who can commit to one day a week all year from 11am to 12:15PM. If you can’t commit to a regular schedule, we can STILL use you too. SIGN UP HERE
- Morning Recess Duty Parents are asked to assist with before school playground duty. 7:40-7:55AM SIGN UP HERE
- The Dandelion Initiative – Join other committed parents beautify our school and help kids learn the joy of gardening and volunteerism. GO HERE
Teachers will be asking for Room Parents during their orientation nights. ROOM PARENT SIGN UP
Looking for an opportunity? Just ask.
If you don’t see an immediate fit, please feel free to contact the volunteer coordinator, Rene Bibaud who can help discuss opportunities with you based on your availability and interests.
And THANKS! Large and small contributions of your time, talent and resources are so appreciated.
How to Volunteer at SPS
***Your application is valid for two years. If you were approved last year, then you do not need to re apply.
STEP 1: Online Training – Preventing Sexual Abuse of Children and Youth
Nationally, 1 in 4 girls & 1 in 6 boys are sexually abused before age 18. Through this course, you will help protect children by learning to recognize and respond to sexual abuse.
- If you haven’t in the past, complete the 17-min Adult Sexual Misconduct Prevention training at www.seattleschools.org/misconductvideo
- At the end of the video, you will have an opportunity to enter your information, including email address. Once submitted, an automatic email will be sent to you (previously a certificate) – please save it to attach it to your volunteer application.
STEP 2: Volunteer Handbook
Review the Volunteer Handbook for info and tips to consider while volunteering with SPS.
STEP 3: Volunteer Application
- We transitioned away from annual paper applications in August 2018.and since then saved over 14 trees! Learn about our paperless volunteer application and how to apply online here.
- Once you are approved as a volunteer in our online system, your application materials will stay active for as long as you volunteer with any SPS school. Every two years, we will ask whether you would like to stay active, and if so, request your permission to complete a new background check.
- If you need a paper application, please request it from the school office where you wish to volunteer.
Note: Athletic Coaches (both volunteer and paid) must apply through the Athletic Department using this online application. For more information, contact email@example.com or call 206-252-1800.
STEP 4: Background Check
SPS is committed to providing students with a safe educational environment. This includes ensuring every volunteer and staff member completes a criminal background check.
- The designated school contact will confirm your identity using a photo ID and determine the type of background check required based on your application packet.
- Volunteer applicants who have lived in our state for the past three years can be screened by SPS via state criminal records database. This database is accessible to SPS for free via Washington State Patrol.
- Unfortunately, the federal government does not provide an equivalent criminal records database. Applicants who are newer to our state must go through a one-time $21 U.S.-wide background check conducted by an online vendor. If you completed this step last school year, you will not need to do so this year.
- If your volunteer role will involve regularly spending unsupervised time with students, you must complete the national background check even if you are a long-time resident of Washington.
Learn more about volunteer background checks and how SPS is keeping students safe: http://www.seattleschools.org/volbackgroundcheck
Every parent or caretaker should have the opportunity to participate in their student’s education. If you face barriers to completing the online background check, please visit our web page for family volunteers for information about assistance.
Please note: While all volunteers must be screened through the background check, a criminal history does not automatically disqualify one from volunteering in the schools.
BUSINESSES WITH VOLUNTEER HOUR MATCHING PROGRAMS
|COMPANY||PROGRAM||MINIMUM HOURS||MATCH AMOUNT|
|3M||3Mgives Volunteer Match||20||$250/20 hours|
|Adobe||Employee Matching Grants||10||$250/10 hours|
|Aetna||Matching Grant Programs||20||$300/20 hours|
|Alaska Airlines||Dollars for Doers Program||5||$10/hour up to $1000|
|Allstate||Helping Hands||16||$500 or $1000 depending on role|
|Apple||Apple Matching Gifts Program||$25/hour|
|Applied Materials||Dollars for Doers Program||20||$250|
|Bank of America||Volunteer Grants Program||50||$250/50 hours up to $500|
|BD Bio Sciences||Matching Gift Program||10||up to $1000|
|Boeing (and subsidiaries)||Gift Match Program||25||$250/25 hours|
|bp||Employee Matching Fund||$25 – $5000/year|
|Campbell Soup Company||40||$500/40 hours up to $1000|
|CenturyLink||Matching Time Grant Program||40||$500/40 hours up to $1000|
|Chevron||Humankind Volunteer Grant||20||$500/20 hours up $1000|
|Cigna Corp||Grants for Givers||20||$200/20 hours|
|Cisco||Cisco Matching Gifts|
|Citigroup||Volunteer Incentive Program|
|ConocoPhillips||Volunteer Grant Program||20||$500/20 hours up to $1000|
|CVS Health||Volunteer Challenge Grants||15||$500 – $5000|
|Deacon Corp.||Employee Matching & Volunteer Program||2||up to $1000|
|Dell||Volunteer Rewards Program||10||$150/10 hours per fiscal quarter|
|Disney||Disney VoluntEARS – EARS to You grant||10||up to $2000|
|Expedia||Matching Gift Program||$15/hour up to $1000|
|ExxonMobil||Volunteer Involvement Program – VIP Grant||20||$500/20 hours up to $2000|
|Gap Inc.||Volunteer Grant Program – Money for Time||15||$150/15 hours|
|General Motors||GM Dollars for Doers||50||$200/50 hours|
|Google Giving||5||$50/5 hours|
|HomeStreet Bank||Community Partner Volunteer Grant||30||$250/30 hours|
|Honeywell||Hometome Solutions Volunteer Grant||50||$500/50 hours|
|IBM||Community Grants||40||$25/hour up to $1000|
|Ingersoll Rand||Dollars for Doers Program||20||$500/20 hours; $250/each additional 20 hours|
|Intel||Intel Involved Matching Grant Program||20||$10/hour up to $10,000|
|J.P. Morgan Chase||Individual Volunteer Matching||15||$10/hour up to $1000|
|JC Penney’s||James Cash Penney Award for Community Service||15|
|Kellogg’s||Kellogg’s Cares Volunteer Program||10||$100/10 hours up to $500|
|Kimberly-Clark||Community Partners Program||30||$17/hour up go $500|
|Levi Strauss||Community Involvement Grants||10||$20/hour up to $2400|
For reference only. Subject to change Please contact your HR representative for your company’s information. BUSINESSES WITH VOLUNTEER HOUR MATCHING PROGRAMS
|COMPANY||PROGRAM||MINIMUM HOURS||MATCH AMOUNT|
|Marathon Petroleum Company||Volunteer Incentive Program – VIP Grants||24||$500/24 hours|
|Medtronic, Inc.||Bakken Invitation Community||25||eligible to apply for $20,000 Bakken Invitation Award|
|Microsoft||Employee Giving Program||$25/hour up to $15,000|
|Morgan Stanley||Volunteer Incentive Program – VIP Grants||$500 – $2000|
|Outerwall (Coinstar/Redbox)||10||$15/hour up to $600|
|Pella Corporation||Volunteer Recognition Program||25||$100/25 hours; $250/50 hours|
|Pfizer||Pfizer Foundation Volunteer Program||72||$1000/72 hours|
|Pitney Bowes||Volunteer Grants||25||$125/25 hours up to $500|
|ProLogis||Dollars For Doers|
|Prudential||Volunteer Grants Program||10||$10/hour after 10 hours up to $500|
|Puget Sound Energy||Employee Matching Program||$12.50/hour up to $500|
|RealNetworks||via RealNetworks Foundation||10||$15/hour up to $900|
|Robert Half Inc||Dollars for Doers Program||$15/hour up to $1000|
|Salesforce||Employee-Inspired Giving Program||56||$1000 Champion Grant|
|Sallie Mae||Dollars for Doers Program||40||$250/40 hours|
|SC Johnson||Dollars for Doers Program||40||$250/40 hours up to $500 max|
|Sephora||Spehora Stands Gift Matching Program||$10/hr|
|Soros Fund Management||Volunteer Grants Program||20||$1000/20 hours up to $4000|
|Southwest Airlines||Tickets for Time||40||In-kind round-trip ticket (domestic flight)|
|Starbucks||Partner Match – Time||25||$250/25 hours up to $1000|
|State Farm Insurance||Good Neighbor Grant Program||40||$500/40 hours|
|Symantec Corporation||Dollars for Doers Program||1||$15/hour up to $1000|
|Symetra Life Insurance Company||Symetra Cares Matching Program||$10/hr up to $500|
|T.Rowe Price Group||Dollars for Doers Program||25||up to $500|
|Tel Labs||Tellabs Giving Time||15||$125/15 hours up to $500|
|Teradata||Teradata Corp Volunteer||50||$250/50 hours|
|Time Warner & Subsidiaries||IMPACT||30||$500/30 hours|
|Travelers Company||Volunteer Grants||24||$500/24 hours|
|Tully’s (Keurig Green Mountain)||Dollars for Doers||25|
|UnitedHealth Group||Dollars for Doers Program||30||$500/30 hours|
|US Bank||Dollars for Doing Volunteers||$5/hour up to $200|
|Verizon||Volunteer Incentive Program||50||$750/50 hours up to $1500|
|Wal-Mart/Sams Clubs||Volunteerism Always Pays (VAP) Program||25||$250/25 hours|
|Washinton Post (Graham Holdings)||Matching Gifts||up to $2000|
|Xilinx||Community Engagement Employee Grant||10||$20/hour up to $500|
For reference only. Subject to change Please contact your HR representative for your company’s information.