Family Bingo Night has been canceled due to the new storm being forecast to hit Friday night. Stay tuned for updates on a potential new date.
Do you have an incoming kindergartner for the 2019-2020 school year? If so, please join us on Thursday, February 7 from 9:00 am – 10:30 am for our Kindergarten Tour. This is a great opportunity for parents to learn more about the school, our programs, tour the building and see students in action.
Kindergartner registration is open for the 2019-2020 school year. If you have an incoming kindergartner, please register TODAY. Here is the link. Please register before February 15, 2019. The is the last point in which the current registration numbers can influence the district budget process for staffing for next year.
SCHOOL CHOICE AND OPEN ENROLLMENT PROCESS
If you are a family that was affected by the new boundary changes and have an incoming kindergartner, you must register your kindergartner before the School Choice and Open Enrollment Process begins. You will then need to register for Genesee Hill as a School Choice through the Open Enrollment process that takes place February 4 – February 15. Click here for more information about the School Choice and Open Enrollment Process.
Hi Families! Do you read the blog? What do you want to see in a school website? More photos? More news about programs? More information for community events? Do you go to the different sections of the blog? Or just the main page? Please let us know.
Please leave your comments below in this link. At the very least, just let us know if you do or do not visit this site. Thanks for your input!
Do you have questions or feedback about the School Levies topic? We want to hear your voice, even if you are unable to attend the meeting tonight (Thursday) at school. We are providing an opportunity for people to ask questions and/or share comments prior to the event. These questions and comments will be shared with our presenter prior to the meeting. You will be able to asks questions via www.slido.com during the presentation as well.
Go to: www.slido.com and use code D290 for our event.
Join the discussion regarding SPS LEVIES – The Building Excellence V (BEX V) Capital Levy and The Educational Programs and Operations (EP&O) Levy
On Thursday, January 17, school staff and the PTA will be hosting a discussion regarding Seattle Public Schools funding and the upcoming SPS Levies to be voted on in February 2019. A representative from Seattle Public Schools will be here to discuss what’s on the BEX V and EP&O Levies. People will have time to ask questions about the ballot propositions, the process, and how this will impact our school. To learn more about these levies please see the Seattle Public School’s School Levies webpage.
- 6:00 pm – 6:30 pm: Dinner (pizza) provided
- 6:45 pm – 7:30 pm: Presentation, Discussion and Q&A
- 7:30 pm – 8:00 pm: Learn how you can become more involved and informed on what is going on at GH
*RSVP* if you would like to join us for dinner or need childcare, please: https://ghpta-sps-levy-discussion.eventbrite.com Please let us know if you will be able to attend so we can plan accordingly. (RSVP is not required to attend; it just helps with planning.) *Child care will be available with games and activities provided in the gym. Younger children are welcome to join us, as well, for the presentation.
Get ’em while they are hot! We have 350 tickets maximum. You can buy a full table, a single ticket or a pair. The auction committee will find a fun table for you if you don’t know who you want to sit with yet.
We’re looking forward to gettin’ down with you all while supporting our school.
Read more about the auction on our Auction Page.
Congratulations to Noirin Lynch, our January Volunteer of the Month.
Noirin has been such a helpful volunteer at school. We are so thankful to her contributions here at Genesee Hill. When asked to comment on her contributions to our school, here’s what just a handful of folks had to say:
She teaches Genius Hour – Kitchen Chemistry for 1st grade
She organizes the lost and found/coat donation for the office
She’s room parent for Ms. Williams (3rd grader – Akemi Sheibley is her daughter) this year
Last year, she was room parent for Ms Henderson (Kinder – Quinn Sheibley) and Ms Fraizer (2nd grader – Akemi)
She’s also on the Cohort Coordinator Team for 3rd grade this year, 2nd grade last year
Staff Appreciation Week help and coordination
She leads a girl scout troop
Wow – that’s alot of hard work and dedication. Thanks Noirin
Have an idea for our next Volunteer of the Month? Let us know: email@example.com
Join us a the Seattle Design Center on March 23rd! Tickets go on sale on Friday January 11th and go fast. Join us for a raffle, silent auction, live auction, dinner, dancing and more! Can’t make the auction or not able or interested in attending? We still want you to be involved! We’ll have an online auction for many items as well. Details to be announced. But we hope you can make it in person and get down with the funky town foxes as we raise money to support our school. Disco/70’s attire encouraged but not required. Have fun, meet with new and old friends and support our school.
Questions? Suggestions? Or want to volunteer at or before the auction, let us know! firstname.lastname@example.org
We have just added two new Robotics classes to the enrichment class schedule for Winter session. These classes will be offered on Wednesdays and taught by BEAM Experiences/Bricks4Kidz (beamexperiences.com).
- Jr Robotics K-2 (Wednesdays, 1:15 – 2:30 PM, $235/session – 9 classes): BEAM Experiences uses the popular Bricks 4 Kidz Jr. Robotics curriculum, teaching students how to turn their next LEGO creations into a robot, programmed to do exactly what they tell it to do! This offers all the fun of building with LEGO Bricks, plus the challenge of computer programming. Using drag-and-drop, icon-based WeDo software provides an introduction to the world of programming and robotics that will equip children to succeed in a technology-based marketplace. BEAM encourages students to think creatively while experimenting with Cubelets. This fun, action-packed class combines real life skills with real kid fun! Class limit: 10.
- Robotics 3-5 (Wednesdays, 2:30 PM – 3:45 PM, $235/session – 9 classes) : Unleash the creative powers of the hands-on LEGO® MINDSTORMS EV3 by building robots that can race, dodge walls, and complete obstacle courses! The aim of this course is to have students utilize their critical and creative thinking skills by building robots that they design and program. Students will physically piece together logic with modular building blocks, build circuits, and discover how robotic creations operate in today’s world. Although this course heavily uses Mindstorms EV3, students will learn how a variety of robots are built using the latest cutting-edge systems. Class limit: 10.
Enrollment for these classes will open tomorrow (Thursday, 12/13) at 9 AM. The enrollment deadline for these classes will be extended to 12/21 at 5 PM.
REGISTER via Homeroom HERE
Don’t miss family game night
Play games and meet new friends at Family Game Night 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm December 7 in the cafeteria. Admission is free and you won’t want to miss the raffle prizes! Pizza, salad and sweet treats will be available for purchase. Help support our school and West Seattle Elementary by buying a game now for your own home or as a gift to the school. Wishlists by grade level are online! 30% of every order comes back and will help us purchase games for West Seattle Elementary.
Can’t make it but still want to buy a game for you or the school? No problem – click here to view and order.