What is the school schedule?
7:55 a.m. – 2:25 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday
8:00 a.m. – 1:10 p.m. Wednesday
What are drop off and pick up procedures?
- Student cohorts each have a designated, well-marked line up area as well as specific entrance and exit protocol for social distancing safety. See the map below for your child’s designated line-up location.
- Drop off and pick up locations for grades 2-5 are at the four back playground gates – on Genesee, 51st (both at the sidewalk and through the delivery gate), and the gate at the top of the lower parking lot.
- Kindergarten drop-off and pick-up will take place in the front of the school on Dakota St..
- The front parking lot will be closed to car traffic.
- Parents of Kindergarten and 1st grade students ONLY will be permitted at the student line up areas for drop off and pick-up.
- Parents of students in grades 2-5 should arrange to meet students outside of the playground area in a designated meeting spot after school.
What health and safety protocols will be in place?
- All staff and students will be masked both inside and outdoors.
- To the best of our ability, we will maintain 3-foot social distancing guidelines.
- Regular handwashing will be built into classroom schedules.
- Students will all be seated in the same direction – facing the front of the classroom to limit breathing towards each other – with 3 feet of distance between each student chair.
- Daily attestations will no longer be required. Please monitor your child’s health and do not send them to school if they are sick.
- Visitors to the building will be required to attest in case of the need for contact tracing.
- We will maintain our protected health room protocols for any student displaying symptoms and the District will continue their contact tracing practice.
What is the plan for recess?
- Students will be going to recess 2 grade levels at a time.
- Those 8 classes will be divided into 5 assigned playground zones each – these zones will rotate weekly.
- Each class will have its own bag of playground equipment.
What is the plan for lunch?
- School breakfast and lunches will be provided FREE for all students. We would like to encourage families to take advantage of this service.
- All students will be eating lunch outside, picnic style.
- Best practice for mitigation and prevention of COVID 19, as advised by the American Academy of Pediatrics, is to remove your mask, clean your hands, eat in a well-ventilated area with physical distancing, clean your hands, and put on a clean mask afterward.
- Time has been built into the schedule for handwashing
- Students will be expected to keep their mask on unless actively eating or drinking.
- Sending a second mask with your student would be advisable
- Please also consider sending lunch items that your child can open independently.
What aftercare is available?
We will have Hiawatha Aftercare on our site. There is currently a waitlist, however we are awaiting licensing approval for additional spaces, so should have room to accommodate many more students soon. Please call 684-5177 to be added to the waitlist.
How do I get more information about the Walking School Bus?
The Genesee Hill Walking School bus program is really successful! With at least eight routes running, Walking School Bus routes run before school only. Families who participate in a route must volunteer to walk students to school at least one morning per week, as well as turn in updated volunteer paperwork to our Volunteer Coordinator.
It is a great way to meet families in your area! If you are interested in finding a route in your area or learning more to see if this is a good fit for your family, please contact Shelly Pfeifle (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Is there really a video of Genesee Hill staff dancing to “What Does the Fox Say?”
For Direct Give, Enrichment Programs, or other opportunities where you may pay by check, please remember to make your check payable to:
Genesee Hill PTA
What is the bell schedule?
- Mondays: First bell at 7:50, tardy bell at 7:55, dismissal at 2:25.
- Tuesdays: First bell at 7:50, tardy bell at 7:55, dismissal at 2:25.
- Wednesdays: First bell at 7:50, tardy bell at 7:55, dismissal at 1:10 (**all Wednesdays EXCEPT the first day of school, 9/6 – dismissal at 2:25)
- Thursdays: First bell at 7:50, tardy bell at 7:55, dismissal at 2:25.
- Friday: First bell at 7:50, tardy bell at 7:55, dismissal at 2:25.
- All days: Supervision starts at 7:30 for grades 1-5, 7:37 in the front toy yard for Kindergarten
- Breakfast service starts at 7:30 in the cafeteria.
What school supplies do I need to get for my student’s class?
We got this! All school student supplies are provided by your hard-working PTA dollars.
How is traffic handled around the school? Where does drop-off and pick-up happen?
Below is a map of the school grounds. Drop off for grades 1 through 5 is at the corner of Genesee and 51st, on Genesee (parents line up on Genesee heading west). Please do not turn right on 51st unless you are parking to walk younger kids in.
Please do NOT use the lower parking lot for pick-up or drop off unless you are parking as well. The entrance is not suited to frequent traffic, and our promise to the neighborhood was that there would be no idling cars in the “bowl” (air quality concerns).
There is NO car drop-off or pick-up on Dakota, near Dakota (on 51st or 50th) or in the front parking lot (we make an exception to this last rule for handicap parking and grandparents).
*K drop-off is at the front of the school.