On March 24th, families and kids will be taking to the streets of Washington DC to demand that their lives and safety become a priority, and that we end this epidemic of mass schools shootings. To support “March for Our Lives,” there will be marches held nationwide, including Seattle.
Genesee Hill families are coordinating efforts to get downtown together. The plan is to meet at the school at 9 AM, and then drive down to the Sodo light rail on 5th and Lander. They will then take the light rail up to Capital Hill. The starting place for the march (Cal Anderson park) is a very big space and there is no designated meeting place, but the Genesee Hill families will try to be towards the south/west end of the park. Look for the Genesee Hill banner (we hope to have it with us)!
Details on Seattle’s march can also be found on its Facebook event page HERE.
The march will begin at Cal Anderson Park and will end at International Fountain at Seattle Center. The most recent logistics information is copied below (collected from the Facebook event page):
PROGRAM FOR 3/24: (updated 3-21-18)
(8:00 AM Signmaking party courtesy of our friends at Seattle Pride)
(9:00 AM Voter Registration and Fundraising Booths Open)
10:00 AM Introduction from Founders/Mission Statement
10:15 AM Speakers – to be announced!
10:45 AM Onstage Mass Voter Registration (more info coming)
10:50 AM Final Announcements
11:00 AM March Begins!
(1 Hr March)
International Fountain, Seattle Center
12:00 PM Youth Performances
12:25 PM Special Guest/More Speakers
1:00 PM Musical Guest
1:50 PM Call to Action
2:00 PM March Ends
Participants are encouraged to participate to whatever extent they can – we are committed to making this march inclusive to all.
TRANSPORTATION (updated 3-21-18)
For Transit users, we recommend downloading the TransitGo App and buying a day pass to speed up transit. More information in this link: >>>https://kingcounty.gov/…/…/fares-orca/transit-go-ticket.aspx
We recommend Seattle-area high school and college students use their free Orca cards to reduce the cost of getting to the March. For participants using rideshare services, please select a drop-off point near a Link light rail stop to reduce congestion along the March route.
We would like to thank Lyft for offering March participants a discounted rate. For more information on this offer, please refer to the following link. Those who wish to redeem this offer must RSVP and receive a promo code.>> https://blog.lyft.com/posts/mfol
After the March concludes at Seattle Center, Metro will have shuttle buses from 1st Ave N and Harrison St (outside KeyArena) to 3rd Ave and Pine St, adjacent to Westlake transit station. These shuttles will indicate “DOWNTOWN” on the lighted displays, and Metro staff will be on hand at Key Arena to assist with boarding. This is one block away from the Westlake Center light rail, which goes to Capitol Hill or the International District.
We realize this transportation plan has several legs, but will go a long way towards reducing congestion and the impact on the Capitol Hill neighborhood. Thank you!
- TO YOUTH: Bring your driver’s license/learner permit so you can register to vote!!
- We will have signs from our friends at Amplifier that are creating designs to be used nationally and also ones created at sign making parties at our booths that will be distributed, first come first serve
- We’re still fundraising! Proceeds go towards march related expenses and any extra goes to local organizations and Parkland victims. Link: https://www.gofundme.com/march-for-our-lives-seattle
- Please keep in mind your impact on the community! Stay clear of their windows and front areas, clean up all litter, and return to businesses in the area after the march to compensate them for the lost business. Special mention goes to Molly Moon’s and Sugarpill, who have been adversely impacted in the past. Help us be good neighbors!
- Dress for the weather! Current forecast is 47 and partly cloudy, and always a chance of Seattle rain
- Those with clear backpacks are encouraged to use them! They are not required.