[update At the School Board meeting on May 21, the Board will be listening to Public Testimony so if you feel you want to address the Board, please do. To sign up for public testimony, members of the public should e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (206) 252-0040 and give their legal name, telephone number, e-mail address, and the topic they would like to address.]
Schmitz Park’s Singapore Math Legacy is in Jeopardy. But you can help save it!
The Seattle Public Schools Math Adoption Committee has recommended the enVision Math Program for kindergarten through fifth grade for adoption by the School Board. Switching to enVision would be a step backwards for Schmitz Park children’s education.
We at Schmitz Park would like the district to reject the recommendation/select Math in Focus, consider a dual adoption (Math in Focus and enVision) or amend the math waiver process to guarantee funding of math programs schools like ours have implemented. Our PTA raised the initial funds 7 years ago to implement this math program at Schmitz and our parents are passionate about maintaining our investment.
Here is a sample letter outlining our concern. Please feel free to write your own message or share the message in the letter. The Board will meet to discuss the recommendation on Wednesday, May 21st. The vote will take place June 4th. No time to waste!
Who to Contact:
School Board Members
- Marty McClaren *West Seattle Representative email@example.com
- Sharon Peaslee firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sherry Carr sherry.carr@seattleschools..org
- Harium Martin-Morris email@example.com
- Stephan Blanford firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sue Peters email@example.com
- Betty Patu firstname.lastname@example.org
- Isreal Vela (Executive Director of Schools – West Seattle) email@example.com
- Jose Banda (Superintendent) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Anna Box (Mathematics Program Manager) email@example.com
- Shauna Heath (Executive Director, Curriculum and Instructional Support) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Michael Tolley (Assistant Superintendent for Teaching & Learning) email@example.com